Monday, March 12, 2007
~ Marriage first ~
I was hit with a very important thought as I was heading home on the train today. Chris and I live what could be a very unhealthy life for our marriage. He travels about 7 months out of the year which means that during those times, our relationship exists through phone calls. When he is home, I am working all day. We get about 4 hours together at night and then I need to go to bed so that I can be rested for the next day. It's not an ideal situation.

My boss told me to go home today at 5. He had asked when Chris was home again next and I told him that he was arriving this afternoon. He then told me to leave early and go spend time with him. How amazing! It hadn't even crossed my mind to ask. I ended up leaving at about 5:20 and while that is only a 40 minute difference from my normal leaving time, it made a huge difference when I walked through the door an hour early (rush hour wasn't bad yet). I am very lucky to have a boss who cares about things like that. A marriage with this much time apart has to be protected and nurtured and worked at. We are both so understanding with each other and the lifestyles we live, so it never causes us conflict, but it's nice when all other things can be set aside and it's just about us.

The other KS wives don't work at all so I can imagine it's easier for them (although your husband being away is never easy), because when the guys come home they can spend all the time together they want. That would be ideal, but it's just not our life right now so I refuse to be sad about it.

The important thing is to make sure the marriage has the priority above all other daily responsibilites. It's about balance really. Long after the job, the travel, and even the friends, it will be Chris and I living this life together. All I can say is thank goodness for understanding bosses who think of these things even before I do.

Now, my husband is finished cooking dinner so I am going to go have a wonderful evening with him. Love to you all!

Labels: