It's been ages since I posted - and I was looking forward to getting some time to write while in the US this month, but this trip's been crazy. We're here for 16 days and have 20 events, including 13 concerts, 6 masterclasses and a "children's performance" - which totally bombed. We performed for a group of about 200 high school kids, some of whom fell asleep, others of whom had a gum bubble-blowing contest, and others of whom didn't even disguise their boredom and ended up yawning theatrically. Afterwards we had a Q&A session; perhaps the best question was "what's your favourite note?" What can you say... still, it was worth it if only one of those kids had a good time, and if we could have inspired one person to take up singing then in my book it was worthwhile.
As I write I'm sitting in Washington Dulles, waiting for (another) delayed flight after a week of crazy weather in the northeast. Admittedly it's not as cold here as it was in Ottawa last week (minus 25) but it's certainly not as warm as Charleston SC which was a balmy 60. And, Mike and Erin take note, you're right - it's a wonderful place. The buildings are really great to look at, and there's loads of history. I can see why anyone would want to live there. It was great returning to the South for a bit after 2 weeks in the north, which is nice but the people aren't always quite as friendly.
We had quite a few encounters with some of our Mennonite fans on this trip, too. They really are some of the kindest, most friendly people I've ever met, and I'm so glad they keep in touch and visit our concerts. One of them in particular spent ages talking to me about how hard it must be to be away from Stephanie for so long (it is, terribly hard) and went as far as to send an email to her (via me) saying how wonderful she must be to cope with my working lifestyle (she is!).
On a happy note, we heard that our good friend Jennifer can come to visit us in London soon, which is a big thing to look forward to. I'm so incredibly proud of how well Steph is doing in London, finding a job and building up friendships and a life for herself while I am away, but it's so important not to lose touch with our friends in the US and It's awesome that you lot look out for us. We can't wait to see you in August!
More later - flight being called so have to dash.