Hotels are just hotels, normally. But this one's different - it's awesome. We're in Taichung, about 75 miles south of Taipei on the island of Taiwan, and we've just arrived in our new hotel, only just built. It's enormous - I'm on the 38th floor - but more than that, each room has a corner unit including a curved desk with various drawers, and a 40 inch plasma above it.
This was nice enough - but then I discovered that by connecting the various wires that were coming out of the desk, I could bring up my laptop screen on the tv. This is great for many reasons, chiefly:
1. It's very, very cool;
2. I can watch my UK DVDs on TV (instead of local Taiwanese TV (very good I'm sure but I can't understand a word so end up laughing at it) and listen to them through the Sony Home Cinema that also happens to be in the room - oh, and watch it in the bath too as there's a tv and speakers in the bathroom;
3. I can listen to iTunes through the Cinema system; at the moment I have Journey blasting out and I think my neighbour will be around any minute to tell me to turn it down. Turn Journey down? Pah!
4. I won't get any work done as I'll spend too much time playing with it; and
5. It's very, very cool.
I wish I had a camera that worked (instead of throwing it into the pool on our honeymoon - oops) so that I could photograph it.
Oh my gosh I'm like a kid at Christmas.